Friday, July 13, 2012

Realistic vs. Extreme Couponing


Due to the show “Extreme Couponing”, there has been a large debate about couponing in general.  Some assume that all couponers go to the extremes that they show in this show.  However, there is a difference between realistic couponing and extreme couponing.

I started couponing about 4 years ago.  Though I started off slow, I soon saw the potential there and how I could really help out my community.  I would not necessarily label myself as an extreme couponer.  I actually do not like that phrase at all, as it gives realistic couponers a bad name.
 
Now, I personally think that a realistic couponer gets enough for their family to get them through until a new sale comes along.  For normal items, it is about 3 months before another sale will come back around.  For seasonal items, such as holidays or back to school items, it is once a year. 

To me, an extreme couponer will gather hundreds of certain items and leave them on their shelves for a long time.  I will admit proudly that I do have a stockpile, and a good one at that.  However, I do see the importance of donating and giving back, so these items do not necessarily sit on my shelf for long.  (I am not saying that extreme couponers don't donate)  There is nothing wrong with having a stockpile and being prepared – But, for my family, we would rather have a good stockpile, and also take some from it every week and donate it.  I do “buy” items in great amounts when it is a good deal, but I still do not feel that I am unrealistic.

If you want to talk about this show specifically, this show can be very unrealistic.  In most episodes, the store has waived the coupon policy just for that one shopping trip.  While on a normal day you can only use 3 like coupons to double, that store will let that person use 100.  Or, whatever.  In the later episodes, the store is letting the person do multiple transactions.  Also unrealistic.  While some stores will let you do multiple transactions, they will usually only let you do two or three.  Not the 30 something some do on the show.

I think that I fall into an area inbetween the two.  And, I think that everyone has their own opinions on what realistic and extreme couponing is.  I know that when I have been in the store buying a larger amount of an item, I have been asked if I am an extreme couponer and if I stockpile.  If I buy 20 items of something, I’m usually donating half if it’s an item that my family will use.  As you can tell by my previous posts, sometimes I will get large quantities of an item strictly for donating, such as with the Poise, Depends and diabetic meters.  In that sense, you could call me an extreme couponer.  However, I don’t feel so.

To me, it is important to have realistic goals for myself and my family.  If that means I’m picking up 20 of something, okay.  Or, maybe I am only picking up 2.  But, for myself, I see the importance of having a stockpile, yet I never want to lose the drive to donate.  You have to find out what is going to work for your family, and pay attention to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment